Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Focus--Ooh, Something Shiny!


So, I'm trying to come up with something I really want to focus on for this class, my blog, and my Google+ feed.  I've mentioned on Google+ that I have an interest in television, but I'm not really sure where I would go with that (though I am currently waiting to hear back from Nielsen Media Research about how they take internet video views into account).  I also said I might take a deeper look at how the world needs to catch up with digital media.  There are laws, rules, and traditions that we have from previous eras that need to be updated or changed altogether in order to fit into our new way of life.  However, that honestly doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy week after week.

The easy thing for me to do would be study video games, not because that's an easy topic, but because my sister is going into video game animation and would be able to give me lots of feedback.  But I feel like so many other members of our class are already looking into that, each with a deeper, more interesting emphasis than just, "I want to learn about video games."

I was basically at a loss.  There were so many topics I could pursue, yet none of them held my attention.  While trying to find a focus I felt like I was back in Fourth Grade and the teacher wanted to have me tested for ADD.

And then a revelation came from above--or at least from my right.  Today in class the person next to me mentioned creative writing.  Suddenly it was obvious.  Literature!  That's my true love!  Writing it, reading it, that's my passion.  I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of it sooner.  Maybe that's why I didn't think of it, though: it was so obvious it seemed wrong.  But if I'm going to enjoy this class, I need to do something that I enjoy.

So, literature in the digital age.  I'm talking ebooks, science fiction, fan fiction, blogs turning into published novels, collaborative creative writing, and whatever else it implies.  I'm going to find criticism for it, and I might even dabble in writing some digital literature myself.

I'm going to study literature in the digital world, and I'm going to love it.  I hope you do, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment