Thursday, November 1, 2012

How I got a Pinterest account

My roommate has been asking me to get a Pinterest for a while.  I told her no because I get addicted to stuff really easily, especially online.  I updated my Facebook status once or twice a day when I first got one.  Now it's down to maybe once every three days...  Anyway, I said I didn't need a Pinterest and it would just distract me.

The other day, however, I was online and I saw a Dr. Who picture that I thought was really funny.  I saved it to my hard drive.  My roommate, who was sitting next to me, said, "Did you just save that picture on your computer?"

"Yeah," I said.  "I have a whole file in My Documents devoted to Dr. Who pictures.  See?"

She stared at the screen a second, then said, "How is that different from getting a Pinterest and pinning photos to a board?"

I paused, then realized she was totally right.  I still held off, though, until yesterday when I saw this YouTube video:
 

There's probably a way to save videos to your hard drive, but I haven't done much of it.  I looked up at said roommate and asked, "Can you post videos to your Pinterest?"  She told me yes.

So, I got myself a Pinterest today.  I have two boards, one with future wedding stuff, since my dear roommate wanted to me to make that one specifically, and one with Dr. Who.  Perhaps it was a silly reason to finally cross over, but I did it.

My reason for joining Pinterest was probably not the reason most people do it.  Most people seem to have cute, practical stuff like recipes or landscapes or dresses; I'm planning on a Portal board and maybe a Yu-Gi-Oh one, too.  But it works for me.  I have a place for my pictures and to find more pictures of stuff I like.  Granted, the stuff I like is kind of nerdy.  But once again, digital culture has proven to me it actually has exactly what I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment