Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Blogging Mindset

It was Thanksgiving this week, and one of my favorite things about Thanksgiving is getting together with my extended family.  This year is especially important because my paternal grandmother has been diagnosed with ALS, or Lou Gehrig's Disease.  It's incurrable, and her condition will only worsen with time.  So being with her and my grandfather, who is caring for her, was a big deal this year, since I don't know how much longer I'm going to have her in this life.

As usual, at the end of the feast we went around and everyone said what they're thankful for.  The younger kids said, "Family," "Ditto," and "Mom."  I said something that I wish was a little deeper, and then the parents got teary-eyed as they talked about their children and spouses.  And then it got to Grandma and Grandpa.  She said she's grateful for Grandpa.  Grandpa, in turn, said that he's grateful to still have Grandma around, and that he's glad he's still healthy so he can care for her in their home and not at a clinic.  And then he said that after she's gone there will be no reason for him to stick around any longer.

That's right, I'm related to them.

That might sound a little depressing, but my grandparents have a love story that inspires me.  You see, my grandpa is a convert to the LDS church, and it was my grandmother that initially introduced him to it, and helped him throughout his conversion process.  He told me that in his youth he'd searched for the true church, and when he couldn't find it, he turned to a more scientific approach to life.  Then he met Grandma, and he found the truth as well.  I'm probably getting that wrong, but that's what I understand.  When I looked at them holding hands at the table, I thought that perhaps Grandpa loves Grandma so deeply because she is one of the reasons he now has an eternal family.  So when he said after she goes he won't have a reason to stay, I wasn't really upset.  He knows where they're going, and to be apart from his wife for very long would be worse than leaving this mortal life.

As I sat at the table, watching my grandparents hold hands, I thought of how strong their family is.  Every one of their descendents over age 8 has been baptised, two grandkids have served missions with another currently serving, and two others have been married in the temple.  We have strong testimonies of the gospel and of Jesus Christ, and we are a tightly-knit group.  I think that we devote our well-being to our grandparents.  Not only did they teach our parents, who then taught us, but they continually set an example for us.  Their stalwart faith has given our family a rock to stand on.  Their love has taught me what a normal relationship looks like.

I thought all this at dinner, and then I thought, "I want to blog about this."  Why?  Because I like talking.  I like giving my opinions and telling stories.  And I feel like my grandparents are inspiring.  But blogging is kind of a new outlet for me.  It suits me well.  I feel like I've always had the blogging mindset.  I like getting my thoughts down on paper, and I also like sharing those thoughts.  Combine those together and you get a blog.

It's possible our generation has more of a blogging mindset because blogs are available.  Or maybe humans always had that write/share mindset and now we just have a better means of enacting it.  Anyway, it's something I've noticed lately.  I like telling my story, and I like the idea that others can benefit from it, even if I don't know them.  Blogging has been a great outlet for me for that reason.

My grandparents inspire me, and I'm grateful for both of them this Thanksgiving season.  And I'm glad I could share some thoughts about them with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment